Saturday, April 21, 2012

Brain Damage


A lot of my customers apologize, sometimes defensively, and usually in the first few seconds of the call, for some sort of disability. Most commonly, this is something like my last call:

"I'm sorry, this is really confusing for me... I'm 77 years old and I have trouble with computers".

I always say cheerfully, something to the effect of, not  a problem, that's what I'm here for! We'll take it slow, etc. And I mean it, I'm not a geek snob. I like folks who aren't tech-literate, as long as they're easy to communicate with otherwise.

But sometimes people say something different, like the fellow who was in the war... or folks who say they have a low IQ... or the person who told me he had serious brain damage.

Usually these are the folks who seem smartest... and are the easiest to talk to.

No comments: