Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Customer Support

My customer called for help getting a screenshot of her screen.

I logged into her computer to help her. She already has a screenshot in a graphics file that another tech helped her take.I opened the file.

It's a screenshot of her computer, with a 'how to take a screenshot' document open.

She immediately started trying to click on the icons within the image.

...

After some questioning... it turns out she's trying to qualify for a "Mystery Shopper" job offered to her by email. But since she isn't clear on how to open or save files, or even how to change windows, she's having some trouble with their demands.

The "Mystery Shopper" offer consists of getting her to fill out multiple online forms asking for "special offers"... and then sending a screenshot to prove she did. If she does enough of these, they may send her a check.

I warned her that this looks like a fraud, and tried to stop her from submitting that first form- but she continued anyway.

I'm not sure what moral responsibility I have here... I said a couple times that I didn't think it was legitimate, but she didn't seem to listen.

...in the background I hear her son calling her names because she hasn't cooked him lunch.

No comments: